Thursday, 2 December 2010

"You are number 3 million in the queue. Your call is important to us."

So I haven't had much practice at this, but I can normally string together a sentence. So I thought it was worth a try.

A little about me; I'm 21, a graduate (not as glamorous as I thought it would be), and I want nothing more than to be a success.

Now I may sound selfish, or greedy, or I may even sound like a carbon-copy of you. But the only success I strive for is to have a happy life. I don't need all of life's wondrous materialistic things, and I certainly don't feel the need to start crapping money. But what I would like, most of all, is to be able to have a secure job, have a happy family, and be able to look after my parents when they need me.

It's not too much to ask is it?

I mean, come on; this is the country that brought us James Bond and Football, yet it can't bring the security of a job for millions of its people. Youth unemployment is at an all-time high, and lets put it this way, the Government's approach towards University fees has been less than well received.

For those of you who want to go to University, fantastic. For those who don't, this doesn't really affect you.  But for those who want to go but can't afford it? You have been cheated.

The ironic thing is, I planned to drivel on about some 'silver lining', to which your response would no doubt be "Who the hell does this guy think he is?". And you are right. I'm not anyone important, and I certainly can't tell you the way to think or live your life. The same as I don't expect David Cameron to see this blog and say, "You know what? Let's re-think our position on University fees".

Nevertheless, I am from the most recent batch of graduates, and yes, you may spit at your computer screens as I tell you I paid £3,000 a year, but I cannot yet see how this degree has benefitted me.

I work in a betting shop. My degree was for Television Production. I'd like to see a relevance, but I don't want to kid myself. Job offers I have had have been unpaid internships  (can't afford that, thanks-for-nothing) and nobody else has written back to me (shame on you!)

So my goal for success may be far away right now. And all I want to do is go and curl up on the sofa, watching a film and feeling sorry for myself. But at the same time I don't want to. I think I can achieve it, and I can't see myself giving up soon either.

Success is a real uphill battle. But I'm sure the view up there will be well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment